Friday, August 3, 2012

Welcome to the World, Ainsley Klaire

Ainsley Klaire Kimbrell was born May 1, 2012 at 7:34 am.  What a day!  Well, what a day before that as well, ha! I want to try to remember all the crazy details about the days surrounding our sweet girl's birth, so here goes ...

Since I had a emergency c-section with Lily Kate, I had the option of a VBAC or another c-section this time.  My doctor discussed this with me early in my pregnancy and around 30 weeks, we made the final decision to go ahead and schedule my c-section for May 1.  Since I went into labor with Lily Kate at 38 weeks 5 days, I was going to get to have my c-section at 39 weeks.  I was excited to go early! :) 

So, of course-being the total planner that I am, I loved knowing when Ainsley was supposed to be born.  I wanted to plan every minute and detail up until I delievered.  But, I told Stephen several times that I just had this feeling I was going to plan everything but nothing would go as planned.  Well, that is basically what happened. 

The weekend before I was schedule to have Ainsley, I was so, so exhausted.  I thought I was seeing a few signs of labor but wasn't sure.  I just knew I was so ready to have my baby.  My c-section was schedule for Tuesday, May 1st at 7:30 am.  So, "my" plan was to run several errands and do a little bit of last minute cleaning/laundry on Monday and then go to my parents' house around supper time to stay the night with them since it was closer from their house to the hospital and Lily Kate would be staying with them while we were in the hospital.  But, early Monday morning about 2 am, I woke up thinking that I was in the early stages of labor.  I was having all the same things happen just like when I went into labor with Lily Kate.  I wasn't having strong or consistant contractions but I knew something was happening.  So, I got up at 2 am and started on my chores (dishes, laundry, finishing packing, taking a shower & washing and blow drying my hair) and then I laid back down from about 4:30 am-6 am.  When I got up at 6 am, I finished getting ready and got Lily Kate ready.  Stephen and I planned on leaving to head up to Greenvile for the doctor to see me (since I was so sure I was in labor and they would surely go ahead and take me in for a c-section since I was 38 weeks 6 days) around 7:30 and I would call the doctor on the way to get an appointment.  Well, Mom met us at the doctor's office to get Lily Kate and we had an appointment at 9 am.  I wasn't able to see my doctor because she was off that day, so I saw the midwife that I had since on my very first doctor's visit with Ainsley.  After checking me and hooking me up to the monitors, she told me I was not in "active" labor and they wouldn't do a c-section at the hospital if I wasn't in active labor before 39 weeks.  She said to go home and rest and come back in the morning for my scheduled c-section unless my contractions were unbearable or at least 8-10 minutes apart.  I was so disapointed. 

So, we went to my parents' house for the rest of the day and I tried to get some rest.  I started timing my contractions (you got to love that they have an app for EVERYTHING, even timing contractions!!) and while I was resting they were at least 12 - 15 mintues apart.  But, as the day went on they started getting closer and more uncomfortable.  By about 10 pm, they were really, really uncomfortable but still around 10-12 minutes apart.  I tried to rest but everytime I would doze off, I would have another contraction.  By midnight, I was in pain ... and I was very aggrevated.  I think mainly because I knew that there was no need for me to labor and progress because I was going to have a c-section and so I felt like all of my pain was for nothing ... and I knew I was going to be in a lot of pain after my c-section and I didn't want any before! :)  So, a little after midnight I called the doctor on call and asked if I could go ahead into the hospital for them to hook me up to some pain meds so I could rest until the 6:30 when they were supposed to take me back for my c-section.  She checked to make sure there was a bed available and then called back with the go-ahead for me to come in.  Now, even though I was glad to go ahead in, I wasn't happy because I had planned on getting up the next morning early to fix my hair and make-up so I could be picture ready after my c-section. :) (Yes, I know ... I can't help it) 

We got to the hospital and I was in a bed with my lovely hospital gown by 2 am.  I was ready for some meds and a little bit of rest. (Remember my "day" had really started at 2 am the previous morning when I went on my cleaning spree)  I was so, so exhausted and ready to meet my precious Ainsley.  So, the nurse gave me 2 different pain medications 3 different times over the next 4 hours and they didn't touch the pain at all ... which, of course, was getting more & more intense.  The on-call doctor came and checked me once and said I could have a little more meds but they never helped.  By 6:30 am, I was an emotional wreck.  I had been in pain for way to long and I was mad because it wouldn't go away and it wasn't even supposed to happen.  When there was a shift change, I had the best nurse.  She said, "Honey, the only way for this pain to stop is to get that baby out.  Do you want to go ahead for your c-section?"  At that point, I started bawling crying and said "Yes, where were you 6 hours ago?!"  She went and called my doctor (who was on her morning run) and she agreed to come in a little early to do the c-section.  Mom was on her way to the hospital but didn't make it before I headed back.  It was really a blessing because by then, I was so, so emotional.  I just couldn't hold back the tears anymore.  If Mom would have been there, we both would have been crying and it would have just been way too emotional!  So, finally they took me back for my c-section around 7 am.  I cried almost the whole time they wheeled me back.  When I got in the operating room, I was trying to get control over my emotions and just prayed and asked the Lord to give me the strength and peace I needed.  Stephen came in the room after getting "suited up" and I was so glad to see his face.  We both were so, so ready to meet Ainsley.
When Ainsley was born, she cried the sweetest, quitest cry ever.  It is funny to me to think about her first cry compared to Lily Kate's.  Lily Kate came out screaming ... I'm wondering if this was a hint at their personalities from their first cries! :)

 The moment when you early your baby's first cry is so emotional and so special.  I can't even put into words how wonderful that moment is.  I had wonderful nurses that promised to take pictures for us and they did a great job. 
Our first picture with our sweet girl. 
After Ainsley was born, Stephen started getting dizzy and feeling like he was going to faint.  He hadn't eaten breakfast yet (Mom was on her way with it) and it was super hot in the operating room.  So, he left to go get a little snack.  While they were putting me back together, I got to watch them do all of the first tests, measurements, etc. that they do to the newborns on Ainsley.  She was just so, so precious to watch.  She hardly made a peep.  I could see already that even though she favored her big sister, she was going to have her own look.  Lily Kate came out with dark skin like her Daddy ... I've called Ainsley my "whitey" since the beginning.  She had lighter hair and blue eyes from the beginning.  Lily Kate's eyes were never blue, they have always been brown. 

After getting us both settled, we were wheeled out to the post-op room where my Mom got to come and meet Ainsley.  Stephen went ahead and took our bags to the room we would be staying in and my Dad and Lily Kate waited for us in there.  Lily Kate was SSOO excited about meeting her little sister.  She kept asking where "her" baby was ... it was just so, so precious.

I love that smile ... she was in love with her sister from the beginning!

Our first family of 4 picture!

Ainsley Klaire is such a blessing ... even though the events surrounding her birth didn't go as I planned them, I'm so glad that I serve an almighty God that knew just how and when she would come.  I'm thankful that He blessed us with this precious girl and I can't wait to see what He has in store for her life!

No comments:

Post a Comment