Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I can do it myself ... or can I??

Do you ever feel like you can do things on your own, with no help from anyone? My mom loves to remind me that one of my favorite sayings when I was young was "I can do it myself." (Unfortunatly, I can see that attitude coming out in Lily Kate already!) Sometimes I feel like I still have that attitude toward God. Isn't it amazing how many times He promises us in His word to give us strength but yet we still think & try to do everything on our own. I was reading in Isaiah 40 this morning and became so convicted over my thinking that "I can do it myself". The passage talks about how awesome God is to have created the earth and that there is no one that is like Him to or that He is equal with. And then, it says that this God who is so awesome "...giveth power to the faith; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength." Why do I want my strength when I can have God's? Then verse 30 tells us that on our own we will faint, be weary, and utterly fall. How many times has that happened to me? Too many to count! Especially on those frustrating days with Lily Kate or a stressful Sunday when I have a lot of responsibilites at church or dealing with problems in my family or life in general. Wow, I faint a lot ... and most of the time by the end of the day I am weary - and yes, if I'm going to fall, it will be a bad one. But, I love verse 31 ... "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Can I get through a day or a problem on my own? Yes-but why should I? The Lord promises strength that I can not even get close to. I want & need that kind of strength. I must make it a priority in my life to stay close to the Lord on a daily basis so I can be the best Christian, wife, mom, youth pastor's wife, friend, daughter, sister, or whatever else that I can be! So maybe my new saying needs to be "I can do it myself, but I don't want to!"

3 comments:

  1. Well said! I have always been a "I'll do it myself" type person. It is amazing that God offers us strength, peace, and understanding if we only trust and rely on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks for telling me about the lip gloss at Merle Norman!!!! I may go check it out tomorrow.
    Lily Kate is a cute name....cute little girl too!

    ReplyDelete